Confirmation/renewal of grants1105
initiator: Pope Lucius III
recipient: Petrus prior and the canons of the Holy Sepulchre
institution: Holy Sepulchre
text: Jul. 14. Velletri. At the request of Petrus prior and the canons of the Holy Sepulchre, Pope Lucius III confirms the privileges granted by Popes Honorius II, Innocent II, Celestine II, Lucius II Eugenius III and Alexander III. Repeating the letter of Pope Alexander III [Sept. 9 1170], he takes the canons of the Holy Sepulchre under protection. He renews their privileges and confirms their endowments, with special reference to Patriarch Amalric’s privilege of Dec. 25 1168 - Dec. 25 1169 [although replacing Amalric’s name with that of Eraclius], with some additions. He specifies: half of all oblations to the Holy Sepulchre, but two thirds of the gifts for lights, one third being for the lights themselves, one third being for the canons’ use [seruitium] and one third going to the patriarch; oblations to the relic of the True Cross, which is in the canons’ custody, except on Good Friday or when the patriarch has to carry the relic on a military campaign; in the church of the Holy Sepulchre, the high altar in the canons’ choir, the Prison of Christ and its altar, the altars of St Peter and Stephen and [at the site of] the Finding of the Cross, the altar at the head of the Tomb of Christ, which is the parochial altar, together with oblations and offerings to them, the cathedra which is behind the high altar and all oblations made whenever the patriarch celebrates Mass at any of these altars, and all oblations to the Compass, which is in the middle of the canons’ choir; the platea between the door of the church and the columns and the other platea situated between the columns and the Hospital of St John; the houses, stationes, lands and whatever else has been or will be acquired in the patriarchal and Holy Sepulchre quarter; houses, stationes and lands within and without Jerusalem; all ovens in Jerusalem, except for 1 belonging to the Hospital of St John and 1 belonging to St Mary of the Latins, with special reference to the oven the patriarch himself surrendered, following evidence provided by dominus Petrus Tyrensis archiepiscopus; the church and cemetery outside the Gate of David, next to the road to Bethlehem; half of that possession that King Baldwin I made over in exchange for the bishopric of Bethlehem; all tithes raised in the city of Jerusalem and its diocese, except for those of the funda, given by Patriarch Arnulf; in Nablus the land given by King Amalric in novo burgo, and the church, with a cemetery, which the canons had begun to build with Patriarch Amalric’s permission; all other possessions owned by the canons in Nablus; the 21 casalia that Duke Godfrey gave; the villae built by the canons for Latins, with churches, the administration of justice and parochial rights, such as Magna Mahomaria, Parva Mahomaria and Bethsuri; Thecue and the church at Quarantene; Geladia and the land the canons bought from Johannes Gomannus; all the casalia the canons bought from Hugo de Hybelino; the church of St Peter in Jaffa with the tithes throughout the county of Jaffa, granted by the king, religious communities and all Christians; the possessions in Ascalon and its district, in the lordship of Assur, at Caesarea and throughout its archbishopric; castrum Feniculi; a house next to Haifa; Iebul and Lecara; all possessions in the archbishopric of Nazareth, the bishopric of Acre, the archbishopric of Tyre and throughout the patriarchate and kingdom of Jerusalem; all possessions at Mont Pèlerin and throughout the diocese of Tripoli, in Antioch and throughout the patriarchate and principality of Antioch. The pope also confirms all possessions and churches in Sicily, Calabria, Apulia, Brindisi, Barletta, Troia, Benevento, Rome, Tuscany and all Italy [adding several names to the list], France, Iberia, and half of the properties held in common with the patriarchate itself in England, Dacia, Germany, Poland, Ruthenia, Georgia, Hungary and Constantinople. The canons have the right to decide on the disposal of those properties in their entire possession and to manage them in a vacancy in the patriarchate.
Jul. 14. Velletri. At the request of Petrus prior and the canons of the Holy Sepulchre, Pope Lucius III confirms the privileges granted by Popes Honorius II, Innocent II, Celestine II, Lucius II Eugenius III and Alexander III. Repeating the letter of Pope Alexander III [Sept. 9 1170], he takes the... more
sources: Hiestand, PK, pp. 298-301, no. 125 (RRH no. 616)