initiator: John, deacon of the Church of St Peter
recipient: Brother Bayan, prior of our Lady of [St Mary of] the Latins
institution: Saint Mary of the Latins
additional institution: Our Lady of Gethsemane
text: Late Mar. 1213 [the last tenth of the month of March....in the year 6,721 of the world]. John, deacon of the Church of St Peter, records that Prior Arnold of Our Lady of Gethsemane had issued a Latin charter, giving him the ruined church known as al-Shbubas, together with its land and all else belonging to it. John, who could not afford to restore the church and had fallen into debt, asked the priest Karmari ibn Abraqili to take over and reconstruct the church, with his help, as an eleemosynary gift. Karmari would not accede to this request without a new deed of possession. Learning that Brother Bayan, prior of our Lady of [St Mary of] the Latins, had taken over the management of the properties of Our Lady of Gethsemane in Antioch, with the authority of Brother Adam, prior of Our Lady of Gethsemane, and of the community of brethren at there, John approached Bayan, who established that it would not be of the slightest profit to the monastery. John surrenders the original Latin charter and Bayan leases the church to Karmari through the intermediation of Sir Simon, the mullah of the diwan at the church of St Peter. Karmari is to rent it in perpetuity for an annual rent of 2 dinars, half of which - 1 dinar - is to be paid in cash. The rent is to be paid to the monastery of Our Lady of Gethsemane in August, but it is to be remitted for 2 years to assist Karmari in the reconstruction of the church, which he is obliged to undertake. Karmari is to have security of tenure and the assurance that the rent will not be increased by a single dirham. But a delay in payment of the rent - even to the extent of 15 days - will result in the monastery seizing the place and exacting the whole of the rent from it, before returning it. Karmari can enclose the church and its land, which extends on the east to the highway, on the west as far as the court and the ruin under the Ghamathan, on the south as far as the buildings and orchards of Yānī al-Kāmīlārī and the garden of Yānī b. Mardala, and on the [north] as far as the land of the Sardām, opposite the monastery which is at the present time in the hands of his heir, al-Nūmīqūs Romanus. On this side is the opening of the gate to the highway, which serves as the entrance and exit of the place. The charter, authenticated by al-Numilus, scribe of the priest, has been written in duplicate so that Karmari can have a copy. Prior Bayan and John deacon, having been read the document which has been translated for them, have marked their crosses at the top. Prior Bayan has confirmed it with a wax seal. Witnesses: Stefan b. ... of the Latins; Priest Jirjs b.al-Qasis Aghrīghūr; Jayar....b... ; Samuel son of al-Numilus.
Late Mar. 1213 [the last tenth of the month of March....in the year 6,721 of the world]. John, deacon of the Church of St Peter, records that Prior Arnold of Our Lady of Gethsemane had issued a Latin charter, giving him the ruined church known as al-Shbubas, together with its land and all else... more
sources: Cusa, I diplomi 1.2, p. 645. Tr. Ursula Lyons.